There are many reasons why mussels are considered one of Green Mussels New Zealand the most delicious seafood delicacies. They're also quite affordable, considering how much food they provide.
They're very beneficial on your health, which makes them great for both your wallet and body. Here are some of their health benefits:
- Help Lower Blood Pressure Mussels contain a good amount of potassium, which helps control blood pressure levels. Potassium is known to relax arterial tension, allowing for better muscle function in the arteries of the heart. This reduces hypertension and improves overall cardiovascular health.
- Rich In Iodine Iodine is needed by the thyroid gland for normal organ development and metabolic processes within the body . Although an important nutrient, too much of it can be damaging to the thyroid. However, since mussels are very rich in iodine, they help prevent hypothyroidism and other ailments that may occur from lack of iodine intake. The recommended daily intake (RDI) for adults is 150 mcg/day, which you can get from eating about two dozen raw mussels.
- Help Fight Anemia Anemia is a condition wherein your blood lacks enough healthy red blood cells due to low levels of iron . Iron helps carry oxygen to all parts of the body and since mussels contain a good amount of iron, consuming them regularly helps boost hemoglobin production and fight against anemia. 4. Improve Bone Health Mussel shells are made up mostly of calcium carbonate , which is a rich source of calcium that can help prevent bone loss and osteoporosis. Mussels are also a good source of vitamin D , which helps empower the body's absorption of calcium.
- Good Source Of Zinc Zinc strengthens immunity by aiding in the production of white blood cells . Additionally, it boosts your metabolism to aid you in losing weight. It prevents high cholesterol levels from developing too, since it breaks down LDL or "bad" cholesterols and triggers adequate HDL or "good" cholesterol production within the liver. In fact, mussels contain more zinc than red meat .
- Improve Skin And Nail Health Since mussels contain beneficial B vitamins like riboflavin , niacin , thiamine and biotin , as well as vitamin C and D, they can help keep your skin cells healthy. These vitamins prevent acne breakouts from happening on the Greenshell Mussels face, while maintaining healthy hair growth. Nails become stronger too since mussels contain a good amount of protein, which keeps them strong and prevents them from breaking easily.
- Keep Your Eye Health In Check Mussels are rich in antioxidants that help fight aging effects caused by free radicals that damage retina cells . They also have a high level of lutein and zeaxanthin, which reduces your risk for various eye diseases such as macular degeneration and cataracts.